Thursday, May 26, 2011

Spam, Lovely Spam, Wonderful Spam

Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam.  For those of you that are Monty Python fans I am sure you are now singing the Spam song in your head- you're welcome.  For those of you born after 1990, Spam is a processed luncheon meat not unwanted email.

Prior to meeting my husband I was not a fan of Spam, but I have been converted into a Spam lover.  Best part of living on Guam?  They love Spam too!  Guam is actually the Spam capital of the world.  In fact, the "Hot & Spicy Spam" was created just for the people of Guam.  

I had my first Spam sushi on the island- genius.  My favorite menu item at McDonald's is not the Big Mac or Chicken McNuggets but the wonderful breakfast fiesta plate which includes Spam, rice and eggs.  No, I do not live in a trailer, I am not missing any teeth, and I am educated but yes I love Spam. 

Here is a Guam Spam recipe for Spam Balls- try it, you may like it:

1 cup Spam chopped
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
2 eggs beaten
1/4 cup green onions chopped
1/4 cup carrots chopped
1/4 cup water chestnuts chopped
1/4 black olives chopped
black pepper to taste
hot oil for frying

Stir all ingredients together in a bowl until well blended.  Drop teaspoons of Spam ball batter in hot oil and fry until golden brown.  Serve hot with sweet & sour sauce or soy sauce

No comments:

Post a Comment